Sunday, April 03, 2005

Having a successful business



I have always been interested in why some puppet businesses have been so successful and why other fail. I came across an article online that outlined the 7 Principles of Admirable Business Ethics.



One example of a successful small puppetry business is Noreen Young Productions here in Canada. For those of you who do not already know Noreen is a well respected and celebrated puppet builder/puppeteer/producer. She was awarded the Order of Canada which is one of the highest Canadian honours that can be awarded.

When I look at my own business I ask myself how do I rate when looking at those 7 principles? The truth may not be as stellar as I had hoped.

I started my company in 2000. It was and (still is) just a part time business. Over the past 5 years I have worked to create a solid reputation in the local industry and I feel I have done quite well. However after reading the article I can see where my business falls short in different areas.

It is clear to me that my community involvement has been practically non-existent. One way I hope to help remedy that is creating this blog. I will try to offer my own perspective on puppetry, my company, the challenges and success that most of us face.

I am very happy with my work to establish a trust worthy, open minded company that consistently meets its obligations. Have I made some great leaps? Of course. Do I need to work on some more of the practical and financial aspects? Without a doubt.

In the meantime I am left looking at where I have been successful and I must say I have done a few things right. For me the first 3 principles are ones that can never be compromised. When a company has these things the others will not take long to acquire.

Oh...I also wanted to note that the illustration above is the work of Al Rodriguez. He is an amazing artist. Check out his website here.