Monday, September 25, 2006

Puppets Up! Festival Number 2














Well I was very honoured last year to be a part of the first inaugural Puppets Up! festival. This year I had less time and involvement with the festival, however I am a big fan and I still do what I can to support it. This year that meant attending with my family.














Just as last year it had amazing puppeteers and wonderful puppets everywhere. However, this year proved to be a larger event with more visitors than ever.

My family were huge fans of the Canadian Mounties who paraded around the streets with marching music playing from their backpacks. With shorts, bright yellow socks and their intrepid puppet steeds they paraded around the festival with a hilarious, proud and focused look on their faces.














They would often stop and create impromptu marching processions around by-standers. With the most senior of the two officers calling out orders as they went.














Their merry-go-round routine was classic and had everyone laughing. I mean how can you not love these guys?














One of the biggest treats was seeing most (if not all) of Noreen Young's puppets on display. I've said it before and I will say it again, she is a true matser builders and one of the most kind hearted people I have ever met. She is a true puppetry hero of mine.

Her puppets are mostly cast latex rubber and her style very distinct.

Check out these Canadian Prime Minister puppets!

Like last year, this year's festival had balcony puppetry as well and a parade down main street.


This years parade highlights included...



...look alike puppets and their owners...



...and Matt Fincer with this cool mask that he made...





...and clowns on stilts...




...and giant dragons looking this way...




...and that way...




...and mascots...




...and Mounties...




...and big heads...




...and finally, giant puppets.






Now I can't end this festival report without mentioning the Frogtown Mountain Puppeteers. This family puppetry troupe are one of the most entertaining puppet troupes I have ever had the pleasure of watching...EVER. I had the chance to talk with them this year and I must say that I predict wonderful things from them in the near future. They are already award winning and the show I saw this year was even better than last year's show. If you ever have the chance to see them, do it. If you have the funds to fly them out to where you are, do it. I promise that you won't regret it.

I hope that my reports help give some insight in to what happens at this great puppet festival. I highly encourage anyone reading this to make plans to visit the little town of Almonte next year for the 3rd annual Puppets Up! festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home