Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Chensational Muppet Audition!

Well it was very interesting indeed this audition that I went to. Recently there was word about auditions being held for The Muppets Holding Company. The specifics were unclear, like exactly what the successful candidates would get out of it.

I decided to go anyways at least to see how my puppeteering skills held up in an audition. I don't claim to be a master impersonator, but I have always played with a few Muppet voices. Kermit and Pepe seemed to feel the most natural for me. I am a huge fan of Muppeteer Bill Baretta who performs most of my favourite Muppet characters.

So I went on audition day and did my paper work then waited around for instructions. I spoke with a few people and then then started to call in people in groups of ten. I was in the third group. We did some basic lip sync using our bare hands and ping pong ball eyes, to a rock song that was pretty fast. I don't know the name of it.

After that, six people in our group were dismissed and four were asked to stay. That group of four then went on to use the monitors. I was one of the four, so I had a turn at the monitor. It was cool because in front of us was Kevin Clash who performs Elmo (Kevin is the one on the right) on Sesame Street. The four of us were invited to the Sesame Street "workshop". I don't know what that means, but I assume that it is a chance for us to work on puppetry skills, who knows?

Anyways, I made it past the first two parts and I was asked to stay for the afternoon to try my character voices. If they liked your voices they would ask you to come back the next day and the if they didn't you would be sent home. After lunch, I went in and did a few voices; Statler, Waldorf, Kermit and Pepe (okay!?).

I guess they liked at least on of my voices, because I was asked to come back the next day.

The second day of the audition was crazy. I got to see and perform using actual Muppets! I used Kermit and Pepe. Plus I got to see a whole bunch of other Muppets. The day was a real blur. We were told at the end that they should be in touch with us in about a month or so to let us know what they decided. I am not sure what will come of all this, but it was a good experience.

I will try to keep all posted about what comes next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home